The Board of Trustees, recognizing the pluralistic nature of this community and the varied backgrounds and needs of all citizens, regardless of race, creed or political persuasion, declares as a matter of materials selection policy that:
- The selection of books and other library materials is the responsibility of the Director who, in turn, may delegate that responsibility to such members of the professional staff who are qualified by reason or education or training.
- Selection of books and other library materials shall be made on the basis of their value in regard to interest, information and enlightenment of all people of the community. No book or library material shall be excluded because of race, nationality or the political or social views of the author.
- It is the view of the Trustees that responsibility for the reading of children rests with their parents. The selection of materials for the adult collection is not restricted by the possibility that children may obtain materials their parents consider inappropriate.
- The same criteria used in selecting materials are used in weeding and discarding them.
- The Board believes that censorship is a purely individual matter and declares that while one is free to reject materials of which one does not approve; one cannot exercise this right of censorship to restrict the freedom to read of others.
- The Board defends the principles of the Freedom to Read and declares that whenever censorship is at issue, and when a formal request for reconsideration of materials is completed, no book or library material shall be removed from the library collection without completion of the reconsideration process.
- The Board adopts and declares that it will adhere to and support:
- The Library Bill of Rights; and
- The Freedom to Read Statement
adopted by the American Library Association.
Procedures for Reconsideration or Addition of Materials
The staff will listen to the request and will give the patron a copy of the library selection policy.
If the patron wishes to have the library reconsider or add material, the staff member will also give the patron the Request for Reconsideration of Library Materials or the Request for Purchase of Library Materials form.
The patron will be asked to complete the form and return it to the library director.
Upon return of the reconsideration form, the Library Director will send a dated memorandum to the petitioner and the Library Board of Trustees notifying them of the complaint on a particular title.
The Director and the Board of Trustees will review the material in question at the next scheduled meeting of the Board. The Director will notify the patron of the decision.